Applying to a Visual Arts Millay Colony Residency
You can download or print these instructions here:
Application Deadlines: We have 2 yearly deadlines:
March 1st (Midnight, EST, is the deadline for the August, September, October & November sessions. The online system for the March 1st deadline opens late fall.
October 1st (Midnight, EST) deadline is for the April, May, June & July residency sessions. The online system for the October 1st deadline opens in the spring.
Residency sessions are held each month from April through November, most lasting around 3 1/2 weeks, with twelve-day sessions also available in June & September.
In each discipline, decisions are made by juries of artists, critics and academics. Your work is presented anonymously to the jury and is considered solely on the merit of your artist statement and work sample. Please keep these factors in mind as you prepare your application. It is very important that you do NOT include your name anywhere on your artist statement or work samples as you may be disqualified if they are seen within the body of work shown to the jurors.
What you will need to prepare before beginning the application process:
Artist Statement: In a one page Word document, write about your work, yourself and your current thinking about what you’d like to accomplish at Millay Colony as clearly and concisely as possible. The jurors want to get a sense of you as an artist and your creative process. This will help in making final decisions. The statement can be single-spaced. For the artist statement, do not include information about specific awards, names of galleries your work has been shown in, etc.
Work Sample: You can upload up to ten work samples in JPG/TIFF/GIFF. We do not have a specific size format for files, but all images must be able to upload on our computers in a timely manner.
You can also upload a corresponding image list that cites titles, sizes, dates and medium. The image list should not be more than 1 page, do not include images of your work samples in the listing.
Installation work on Video: You are allowed to submit up to 5 minutes of video as part of your work sample. Please make sure your video can be uploaded in a timely manner to our computers. We do not accept links to vimeo or other internet sites.
Do not include and biographical or identifying information within your Work Sample or in the subject box- doing so may disqualify your application.
Biographical Statement & Preferred Residency Dates: Write up to 2 paragraphs listing relevant professional accomplishments such as awards, published works, etc. No CV's please, they will not be considered as the bio statement. Also, tell us how you heard of the Millay Colony. This is for the administrative files and will not be seen by jury members.
Let us know if you're applying for consideration to the following fellowships;
Two Cave Canem Fellowships
For African American Poets.
Five Annual Mid Atlantic Creative Fellowship Residencies
For artists of all kinds from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Washington DC, Virginia and the Virgin Islands. Includes travel costs.
Two Yasmin Scholarship Residencies
For women artist of color. Includes stipend.
The October 1st deadline is for residencies from April-July, with a March 1st deadline for residencies August-November. Twelve-day residencies are also available in June & September. After your biographical statement, denote (in order of preference) those months you would be available to come to the Colony. Include any comments regarding availability. Please note that we cannot guarantee months.
When you have all of the materials prepared and you are ready to apply:
1. Go to the Visual Artist application form located here:
2. Register (or sign-in if you already have a Submittable account).
3. Upload the Artist Statement, Image List, & up to 10 images in your Work Sample and up to 5 minutes of Video, if one is available. Click the Add Files button, browse to the file on your machine and wait for it to upload. Repeat until all files are listed on the form.
4. Add the Contact Info, Biographical Statement and Preferred Residency Dates. On the same screen, there will be a text field labeled Biographical Statement. Enter your prepared contact info as requested, including name, address, email, phone number, gender, ethnic background, date of birth, plus the 2 paragraph biographical statement and your preferred residency dates.
Please note that we welcome all artists, whatever their ethnicity, age or gender; our decisions are based solely on the work submitted.
5. Enter your payment information.
6. Click the "Click Here To Apply" button. It is important that you do not click the "Click Here To Apply" button until all of the required documents are uploaded to the form. You will not be able to edit your application once it has been submitted.
Tech Questions/Problems? Email Submittable Support at email@example.com
Application Submission Questions? Email Millay Colony at firstname.lastname@example.org